Fork & the Road // 5 Bucket List Meals
By: Andrew Zimmern, Delta Sky Contributing Editor
In the latest issue of Sky, I offer a list of dining experiences that have changed my life, from restaurants to wholesale dining genres. If you love to eat, these five should be on your culinary bucket list.
1. One of my favorite eating cities in the world, Tokyo and its tempura bars speak to me in hushed tones. Single element expertise is a hallmark of Japanese food culture and the luxury sushi meal is a must. A handful of places are worth checking out, but my favorite is Sushi Mizutani.
2. A life-changing culinary experience doesn’t have to be expensive. In Singapore, people graze all day long in some of the best hawker centers on earth. People’s Park Food Centre is a favorite, boasting a half mile of stalls selling everything from laksa to barbecued ribs.
3. In the Basque village of Atxondo, chef Victor Arguinzoniz expertly harnesses fire, grilling staple meats and fish as well as fragile items like sardines, eggs and foie gras at Asador Etxebarri. The techniques here are old-world, but they’re presented in a modern way. Go for lunch and you’ll want to stay for dinner.
4. I’m into food festivals, and Marrakesh offers an epic version 365 days a year. Moroccan cuisine is highly refined, unique and delightfully easy to navigate—always some combination of chicken, lamb, mint, honey, chilies, cumin and orange. Sample it all at Jamaa El-Fna, a thousand-year-old market filled with vendors offering everything from fresh fruit juices to whole roasted animals.
5. In Argentina, cow is king. Go to La Brigada to see what all the fuss is about. Chef/owner Hugo Echevarrieta brushes his grill with heavily salted water, then fires the meat at a blistering pace over natural hardwood coals. His method creates a marvelous crust on meat that’s just a notch better than what I’ve tasted anywhere else.
Zimmern is the James Beard Award-winning host of Bizarre Foods America on the Travel Channel and a Delta Medallion traveler.
Photo caption: A selection of dishes from Asador Etxebarri